Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Snow and Soup

Snow and soup, the two go hand in hand right ?
This is what I was looking at this time yesterday
So I knew for dinner my kids would be wanting soup and biscuits, we've overloaded on chicken this week so it was time for some red meat and I wanted to fix something a little heartier than the regular chicken noodle so with a little tweaking here and there as I went along I came up with this beef vegetable soup that is to die for. Campbell's soups are now a thing of the past in this household.
Beware I am not a food photographer, the soup tasted so much better than this picture depicts and Victoria who isn't a big beef / soup eater dropped by, tried some and ended up eating a whole bowl.. SCORE !!

                                                     BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP
                                                     _____________________

You can fix this is in your crock pot or stove top, I did stove top, my measurements are also very approximate, I didn't measure anything. For the veges, you don't need canned or fresh, frozen will work fine, I just did what I had on hand.

Ingredients
---------------

1lb beef cut into bite size pieces
1 onion, sliced into small chunks
5 small potatoes chopped into small pieces
2 handfuls of baby carrots or several cut into pieces
2 cans V8 vege juice ( key to a good hearty flavor)
1 cup water
2 beef bouillon cubes.... (you could use 1C beef broth and omit the bouillon and water)
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
Oregano
Basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Now the easiest part.... throw it all in together. If using a crock pot you'll want to set it on low and cook for about 10hrs or high for 5 hours. If doing stove top bring it to a boil and then let simmer for about 2 1/2 hrs. For us that was perfect, the meat was so tender it melted in your mouth but the veges still had a little crisp to them which my kids like, mushy veges = disaster.

Serve with biscuits or rolls.
                                                                 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! Too bad it is much to hot here already for soup.

Bean said...

Hope you are doing well, Penny!! I miss reading your blog posts <3

Google Analytical

screen