Sunday, May 16, 2010
Happy Birthday Dad
Had my Dad still been alive, today would have been his Birthday, I mentioned that to Reagan this afternoon and in true Reagan fashion she responded "Then we should bake his favorite cake" And so that is what we did.
Dad's favorite cake was a Victoria Sandwich Sponge cake filled with strawberries and fresh cream. As luck would have it I had gone strawberry picking with the girls yesterday and had made my first batch of jam for the season this morning, so everything was set for a wonderful Birthday cake and to remember the life of the person who would have devoured at least half of it.
Victoria Sponge Cake
For the Cake
1/2 C butter, softened
1C Granulated sugar
4 Large eggs
2C Cake flour
2tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
1tsp Vanilla extract
4 Tbsp Milk
Strawberry and Whipped cream filling
4 Tbsp Strawberry Jam
2 C Fresh strawberries, sliced
1 1/2 C whipping cream, chilled
2 Tbsp Granulated sugar
Confectioners sugar to dust
Strawberries to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degress. Butter and flour 2, 8 inch cake pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper
2. In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla; then add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. On low speed slowly add the flour mixture. When flour mixture has been fully incorporated add milk 1 tbsp at a time, mix well into the batter
4. Pour batter into each cake pan. Bake in pre heated oven for 20 - 25 mins.
5. Turn cakes out onto cooling rack after 10 mins, let cool completely
6. Once cakes are completely cooled, spread one layer with strawberry jam, add sliced strawberries on top of the jam.
Whip cream, adding 2 tbsp sugar, until peaks form. Spread over the strawberries. Place other layer on top.
Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with strawberries.
- ► 2011 (55)
- ▼ May (5)
- ► 2009 (114)
- ► 2008 (161)