Monday, May 31, 2010

In the country at night

I have lived in both town and country and can I just say that night time in the country is 10 times louder than in the city. In the city it's just people shouting, car engines and the occasional siren, I can sleep in the city with my windows open, the sounds of the city streets become white noise and I can sleep like a baby.
In the country it's a whole different ball game, during the day time, the only sounds I hear are the birds chirping and children laughing... love it, but at night, OMG, whole different ball game, it starts with the crickets chirping, quickly followed by what must be some of the biggest bull frogs, then the cicadas kick off, followed by an owl in the nearby woods and the Whip-Poor-Wills.
I love to sit out under the stars with a mug or glass of something and take in all the sounds around me, but when it's time for bed forget it, no windows open in this house, the sounds are so loud and so different that they never become white noise and alas I have to close up my windows, if I were to fall asleep to the night time orchestra, I would awaken at 5am, to the Dawn Chorus of all the birds that manage to roost and sleep in the trees around us.
Never in a million years would I have believed the country to be a place of endless noise at night

1 comment:

Bean said...

I'm the complete opposite, if I can't hear the sounds of the wild it is very hard for me to fall asleep! I always have it open, even in the coldest nights of winter :)

Google Analytical

screen