Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Where's the green ?


Cleaning out the breadbox just now, I came across this lonely slice of sour dough bread, it's been sitting there alone for about 2 months and it's looking and feeling just as fresh as can be and that totally freaks me out, what the heck are they putting in store bought bread to make it last that long ?
Scary huh ? I think I'm going to stick with my bi daily bread baking, my bread may not look as pretty after a couple of days but at least I know exactly what goes into it and can pronounce every ingredient as opposed to the 'pretty' bread that comes with ingredients such as Azodicarbonamide and Diacetyl tartaric acid esters of mono and diglyceride. Nothing natural about them, they're just man made chemicals that are added so the breads stay softer longer and have a longer shelf life. I think I like knowing that one day my bread will turn green, just seems like a natural life occurrence.
Don't get me wrong I'm not a purist, far from it, I like my diet coke with the aspartame and phosphoric acid added to it, but when it comes to one of life's staples such as bread, loading it with all the extra crap just seems wrong.

No comments:

Google Analytical

screen