Monday, January 17, 2011

So, do you wanna knit but don't know how ?

I do desperately and so does Reagan. I've looked on YouTube, I've read the books but I'm too much of a hands on learner, reading a book and trying to figure it out makes me feel stupid, watching a Youtube video I always forget that maybe I'm looking in mirror image and well it's just not pretty. The last time I tried to learn anything via YouTube was how to crochet... FAIL !! and it didn't help that Marc walked by and told me I looked like a monkey trying to do a math problem. I have no clue what that looks like and I'd like to know how he does but from his tone it wasn't complimentry.
When Reagan told me at Christmas that she wanted to learn how to knit my heart sank a little, it was one of the few things she's wanted to  learn how to do that I couldn't help her with.... "mommy fail'  then I saw an advertisemnet for Michaels Daily special, it was one of these http://www.createforless.com/Provo+Knifty+Knitter+Loom+with+Hook+1+set/pid76932.aspx and it was only $7.99 so I picked it up along with a ball of yarn. Since Christmas it has sat in a corner of her room, yesterday was one of those days where it was cold outside and I just wanted to snuggle up on the couch watch the football and craft, so I asked Rea if I could try figuring out her knitting loom, the wonderful child that she is she gladly obliged, so I opened up the package raring to go and saw that the directions were for a hat... SERIOUSLY ????? Could we not start out with a scarf ?  Directions for a hat were all I had to go by so what could I do but 'knit' a hat and that's what I did. Now I'll admit that casting on the first time for me was tricky, remember I'm a hands on learner, reading the directions made little to no sense to me and I felt like a total moron when I saw that on my first attempt I'd done it backwards, but I persevered and 3hrs later a hat fit for a 7 y/o was completed and the 7 y/o was thrilled and we all lived happily ever after.
I feel like using a loom is somehow cheating a little, it seems so easy but looking on various websites you can make some pretty neat things, and the fact that it's so easy means my 7 y/o can use it hassle free and she is and loving it and is making a hat for a friend. Sooo if you want to learn to knit but are totally clueless then I absolutely recommend going out and purchasing the Knifty Knitter, then you brag to your local friends about it and one of them will announce that she knits and will give you knitting lessons. I'm so psyched, I'm going to go buy my first pair of knitting needles tomorrow :)

No comments:

Google Analytical

screen