Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Secret family recipes


Not sure why I was thinking about this today, but I was thinking about all of those secret recipes that people keep locked away in the caverns of their mind never to share with anybody, but just to keep everyone guessing what it could possibly be that makes that dish so special and then I got to thinking about how incredibly narcissistic and selfish that is, I mean really, do people really think the only thing they will be remembered for is their cake ? I guess if you are Mr Cocoa Cola then it makes sense but to the everyday Joe... HELLO !!
My 'good' Grandmother was one of those women, she made an awesome fruit cake, but it tasted totally different from any other fruit cake I'd ever eaten, at church bake sales her cakes were always the first to sell, she was famous for them, but when she died her recipe went with her, never again will "Grandma's Fruitcake " be replicated, never again will one of her Grandchildren or Great Grandchildren ever eat such a moreish delight, I find that quite sad.

Marc's Grandma on the other hand was more than happy to share her recipes with me and for that I am very grateful, especially when Marc's Birthday comes around and all he wants is "Grandma's Black cake" and Pinuche icing.
I have carried on the tradition for Marc and bake him his favorite cake every year, this year Reagan decided that she wanted to bake it for him and I let her, she did an awesome job.
This cake is so good and so moist that I'm going to share it with you, so without further ado.... GRANDMA'S BLACK CAKE (As written by Grandma)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Melt together 4Tbs butter and 2 squares bitter chocolate. Let cool

Beat 1 egg, add 1 cup of sugar and beat together

Add 1/2 cup of buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk you can mix together a little under 1/2 Cup of milk together with 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and let sit for 5 mins)

Add buttermilk mix to the butter and chocolate and mix together

Set aside

In a separate bowl mix together 1 Cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp of baking powder

Add gradually to the buttermilk and chocolate mix.

Lastly add 1/2 Cup boiling water to mixture and stir together

Bake in 8" square pan for 25 - 30 mins (I baked Marcs this year in a round pan and then sliced it in 1/2 to make a layered cake, it worked just as well)
ENJOY !!

2 comments:

Emma said...

Wow, nice job Reagan! I clicked on the pics and saw her step by step baking process. I hope Daddy enjoys his first Reagan cake. That was always my tradition growing up...I would make Daddy his yearly birthday cake. Good memories. I bet Reagan will enjoy making those memories too.

Karin Schueller said...

OMG, i am so with you on this one!!! My great aunt was very well known for her peach blueberry pie (it was in her obit!) and she handed the recipe down to me, and other family members. I have people beg me for pies all of the time, and give the recipe to whoever wants to make it! LOL But mine is still the best. ;) Just kidding. Anyway, I say share away!

Google Analytical

screen