Sunday, October 10, 2010

In a blink of an eye


Thursday night I went to bed, Mom to a teen, a tween and a 7 y/o, Friday morning I woke up and found myself the Mom to 2 teens. It doesn't seem possible that I could possibly have 2 teenagers, it doesn't feel right saying "Victoria and the little kids" Ben was always one of the "little kids" now I'm going to have to start saying "Reagan and the big kids"
I was looking through pictures yesterday and came across Ben's Birthday pictures taken  last year, he looked like a little boy, he was still wearing a size smaller than his age, he was shorter than me and his feet were about the same size as mine. This year his looks have changed, now he's all teenager no doubt about it, he has the skater hair cut, his legs reach his arm pits, he's an inch taller than me, his feet are 2 sizes larger than mine, he's wearing large youth or small men size clothing and girls are no longer "Icky".
But some things  have stayed the same, he is still Ben, the kid who no matter what will stand up for what is right even if it's not the popular choice, still opens doors for his sisters and me, still talks to adults as though they are not an alien species, still adores his little sister (though sometimes they fight like cat and dog), still has stinky feet (I hope that changes one day), still loves Elmo and Cookie Monster, still loves to skateboard everywhere he goes, and is still just a good kid, I know he's mine and so I might be a little partial, but it is what it is, he's a good kid.
He's definitely not perfect, sometimes those hormones kick in and he becomes this alien life form, he still looks like Ben and sounds like Ben but dear Lord, he can get whiny, pouty, mouthy and down right belligerent, and I have to admit that throws me for a loop. Sometimes I see the absurdity of the moment and find myself laughing at his outbursts, (they can be that ridiculous) other times I just get free weeding out of it ( #1 punishment around here ) and sometimes he gets sent to his room like a naughty 2 year old to calm down.
At the end of the day though, he is my son, I love him and wouldn't have him any other way.
Hope year 13 is a wonderful one for you Buddy, love you to the stars and back, always and forever, Mom xox

No comments:

Google Analytical

screen