This is the cake I made for Reagan's Birthday, it was wonderful, not too sweet and low in fat, at least until I smothered it in homemade Butter cream Frosting ;-)
3 oz Semi sweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
1 cup Cake flour
1 1/2 Cups sugar
13 large egg whites
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
2) Pulse chocolate in a grinder until finely ground
3)Whisk together 3/4 cup of sugar and flour until combined
4)In a bowl mix egg whites, Cream of Tartar, and salt on low speed until frothy. Increase speed and beat until they hold peaks, stir in remaining 3/4 cup of sugar, beat the eggs at medium/ high speed until fluffy and just stiff.
5) Sift 1/3 of the flour mix over the eggs and fold in with a spatula until just blended
6) Add vanilla and fold in remaining flour in 2 batches.
7) Fold in ground chocolate and scrape batter into a 10 inch tube pan
8) Bake about 45 Min's
9) Invert pan and place tube opening over the neck of a bottle to suspend the cake. cool completely for at least 1hr, up to overnight.
In case you are wondering (Like I was) the reason you suspend the cake is to stop it from sinking. Thanks Marly I was really confused by that and wondered what in the world I had gotten myself into.
If you want to go nuts and turn this low fat treat into a sugar and fat laden confection add Butter cream frosting
2 1/2 sticks of butter at room temperature
5 cups of Confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (If you plan on coloring the frosting or want it white I recommend using clear vanilla, otherwise you might end up with a funky color and you'll never get pure white )
1 - 2 tablespoons milk
1) Beat butter until creamy,
2) Add sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth
3) Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk
4)Beat at high speed until fluffy, adding the additional tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- ► 2011 (55)
- ► 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (114)
- Tag.. I'm it
- Closing tonight
- The look of love
- Somebody save me
- 1 year Anniversary = Store Giveaway
- New clothespin/ accessory bags
- Stay tuned
- Chocolate chip cake
- To my favorite 5 y/o
- Like a kid in a candy store
- Want to know what irks me ?
- I have creative ADD
- Different and yet still the same
- Winners and shout outs
- ▼ August (15)