Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Do you have a smelly dog ?

Yes ? Then go get his anal glands checked out. Not even kidding.
We have a large black lab and the one thing we have said on more than one occasion is how he has never had that 'doggie odor' and for that I've been very thankful. Well all of that changed 2 weeks ago, I noticed he'd started to stink, so I had Marc take him to the groomers and get him bathed, he came home looking shinier than ever but he still stank, last week it got so bad, the whole house was smelling, I could tell if he was in a room or not because I could smell him,it was the nastiest thing ever. It got so bad I couldn't be in the same room as him and at one point was tempted to go check into a hotel, Marc thought I was over reacting... no not at all.
Last Friday I couldn't take anymore and told Marc to take the dog to the vet, that I couldn't believe it was just a regular doggie odor that there had to be more to the smell than that.
Sure enough, I wasn't being over dramatic, his anal glands were full, freaking gross, I'd never heard of such a thing.
Anyway I'm not going to go into detail because it will truly make you lose your Wheaties, but the vet drained them, gave him some meds and as every day passes the smell is less and less.
So be warned, got a smelly dog ? Get him checked out.
If you really want to learn more about it then go here

6 comments:

Angela James said...

Every time I take the dogs to the vet, there's a box on the paperwork to be checked whether or not I want their anal glands expressed if they need it. I ALWAYS check yes because I so don't want to deal with that. Blech.

Kat's Credence said...

I've heard of people having to do this for their dogs themselves. Yuck!

A Little Of A Lot said...

Angie, it's the nasiest thing EVER, I'd be checking that box too.

Kat... Never in a million years would I do that myself. NASTY !!

Stephenie said...

My dogs stink but I think its because my husband only bathes them every 2 or 3 months and they are outside rain or shine. Once we can get rid of the bully dog I fully plan on taking the one staying to the groomers.

Karin Schueller said...

OMG, I have heard the stories on how they do this...NOT PLEASANT!! Glad to hear that your house won't stink anymore though, lmbo. I am so not meant to be a dog owner...

Maria said...

Lucas stinks--but not like ass, more like wet dog. Once he gets a bath he smells fine for like two days. I think Lucas is just the kind of dog that has smelly sweat. (Plus he has a lot of fur that holds dirt and smellyness).

Was it expensive to get his glands expressed?

Google Analytical

screen